Saturday, November 30, 2013

Magic Realism

Honestly for me I love fantasy. It is my all time favorite genre. It just helps bring out the creativity in our minds and see what’s not really there. Saying that fantasy as grown throughout the years. The fantasy we know of now is nothing of what past generations remember it to be. One of those types of fantasy is called Magic realism. Magic realism is basically when the film strikes the realm of realism and combines it with the impossible, which I am certainly interested in. But magic realism such as pans labyrinth or lord of the rings really did not strike home with me. The movies, that is, I absolutely love the novels. But the movies are something I do not really hold dear. The reason I am not fond of the look of these movies is that in reality they are not that real. The directors and everyone tried really hard to make them seem realm but it just did not work. Part of that is the era, in that time I do not believe we had the technology, skill or resources to make things look real. Although some things looked call I could not help but feel a bit of awkwardness toward creatures such as the orcs or the goat thing in pan’s labyrinth. When we see things acting aside humans the humans are so real that everything in comparison looks fake. Also you could see they are just men in masks. They are basically creatures that function like humans and since they are not humans it makes them seem a little off. And this makes me feel uncomfortable and a little weird so I am not a fan of how they made these movies. Now how I think they should of made them was waited for our technology and graphics to get to where we are now. Or use the same graphics of Jurassic park because I think we can all agree they made the dinosaurs epically the CG ones really come to life. That being sad I think movies such as Pan’s Labyrinth and Lord of the Rings should of used more CG qualities like Jurassic Park it makes them seem less robotic and better then life.

No comments:

Post a Comment